frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Speak: The Graphic Novel
Laurie Halse Anderson, Emily Carroll
Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta

The Obelisk Gate

The Obelisk Gate - N.K. Jemisin FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SOOONNNNN THIS BOOK WAS SO DAAAAAANGGGG GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD

Normally, I'm a little more eloquent than this so imagine HOW GOOD THIS BOOK IS THAT I'M JUST A FLOPPING FISH OF HOPELESS EXCITEMENT AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It is really hard to sum up the Fifth Season, or just the whole series, in a couple of sentences. From my perspective, the little blurb on the back does not do these books a modicum of justice (and at least for book 1, I felt like I had no idea what the book was about going into it), but who can blame them? These novels are scifi AND fantasy, ancient AND futuristic, Harry Potter growing up into 1984. (Except without all the terrible shit in Harry Potter.)

All tied together in unstoppably readable writing. Not even necessarily the plot, which is amazing, had me flipping pages, it was the writing. There is no resistance to reading this book, the writing is beautiful but so readable. I twitched with the urge to pick it up when I wasn't reading because I wanted to know what happened next, which was plot. But the fact that I couldn't lift my eyes up from the page because I could barely perceive an end to one sentence before starting another was all on the amazing writing. A stream of consciousness inner monologue that never seeps into the too nonsensical, but never really formalizes to be separating.

Do yourself a goddamned favor and read this series. Goddamn.