frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta
I. Cannot. Stress. Enough. How much I love this author. If this author showed up on my doorstep tomorrow in some fluke of life and asked me to marry her I wouldn't even hesitate half a fucking moment.

A Closed and Common Orbit is a different book from its predecessor, sure. Its tone and its scope, unlike the first book, is limited to two very specific characters who are very similar and also nothing alike. But it left me with the same feelings that the first one did, full of unbroken hope and good feeling, of triumphs that could not have happened alone and happy endings fiercely, but worthily earned.

Look I don't want to give it away, but do yourself a favor and start reading Becky Chambers. Her world building is OUTTA THIS WORLD, her characters are flawed but always growing, her stories make you believe that anything can be accomplished together. Nothing makes me want to scream at miserable hopeless sci-fi than a book like this. Not that I don't like miserable hopeless sci-fi but it's not edgy. Chambers manages to push boundaries in a beautiful, meaningful way, and with a light at the end of the tunnel.

If in a couple of decades I'm not seeing her name (along with Leckie and Jemisin and the lot) as among the best scifi writers I will throw a goddamn fit.