frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta

The Real Boy

The Real Boy - Erin Mcguire, Anne Ursu I remember reading Breadcrumbs for the first time and thinking, "I really love this book, but it could do with refinement."

This book is that refinement. This book has absolutely convinced me that I am a fan of this author and her messages. There's so much here, and it's unfair and sad and real but hopeful. Things change, but people do too, and people move on. The best that people can do is support those who need it.

And perhaps it was merely my interpretation, but it is definitely very awesome to have a novel depicting some form of autism, and the abuse and ridicule that Oscar receives, though harsh and terrible, holds such parallels to people who live with it in real life that it adds even more. Again, Ursu is just masterclass at hiding real issues and interpreting them from a children's perspective. Though not really the focus of the book, it is an extra layer of meaning to the story's importance and impact.