frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened - Allie Brosh This book is so funny. And then really thoughtful. And then so funny. If you're lingering in a bookstore (and I've seen you do it, wandering around, ignoring my offerings to help despite the fact that I have an entire encyclopedia of recommendations to choose from, saying that you're "browsing" but all you do is pick books up read the backs become slightly interested before deciding that it's too expensive don't lie to me I do it too), pick this book up and read the introduction and the first chapter. It'll take you a few minutes, maybe more. If you aren't laughing then I suppose we were doomed never to fundamentally understand each other. Also you're probably the Anti-Christ; I wasn't sure how to sugar coat it.

I'm really glad Allie Brosh got this book going, she was going to do it a few years ago before her depression hit (which she recounts in two parts in both her blog and in the book) and so it's relieving to finally see it realized because she has a way of phrase that builds laughter straight in your stomach that bursts through your mouth in a slightly horrifying way like in Alien. There were times were I thought I was laughing for no reason. I could sort of understand why it was funny, but I didn't really understand why I thought it was so funny.

Brosh is also really good at solidifying concepts that we suffer through (or perhaps just I do) like self-consciousness and selfishnesses of being a good person and the difficulty in doing things as an adult. In the way that lots of comedy work, the utterly accurate portrayal of concepts that we don't have specific names for just builds up on the hilarity of the situation, and you feel a lot of camaraderie in the things you share.