frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Speak: The Graphic Novel
Laurie Halse Anderson, Emily Carroll
Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta

The Thickety: A Path Begins

The Thickety: A Path Begins - J. A. White One of the best ways to tell if you really enjoyed a book (or are eagerly awaiting the sequel at least) is if you start getting anxious towards the end of the book because things aren't wrapping up and there are only a few pages left and with the last page you yell "GODDAMNIT" and start kicking things over.

So, good news is I liked Thickety, bad news is I have a mess to clean up.

Thickety is miserable and creepy, the environment entrenched in this oppressive Puritanical environment that puts the whole book on edge and it does it really well. Character motivations are strong and reasonable and I enjoy the book's hammered in point about how bad people are never totally bad - unless they are corrupted by a deeper force etc.

The writing of the book is really solid all around - the prose is not condescending but is just good enough to not be distracting from the main point of the book: the plot, characters, and atmosphere. The book is unnerving - in a good way. Unnerving in a "please, I want things to be better, no don't do the thing NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING DON'T OH MY GOD" way. Good and bad lacks true definition in the book and it works in the books favor, as well as fitting in with the drab and desperate tone of the story.

Again, I was pretty angry at having reached the last page of the book, so I liked it.