frumious

Interrupting Soliloquy

I enjoy most things, and don't believe that enjoying things means that I shouldn't rip it apart critically. Also don't think reading is the panacea of all ills, so I read a lot of comics and play a lot of video games.

Karma Cola: Marketing the Mystic East
Gita Mehta

Nightlights

Nightlights - Lorena Álvarez This comic is beautiful, sweet, and abhorrently terrifying. And the reason I can't give it 5 stars is that it's TOO DARN SHORT.

The fact that this comic is gorgeous cannot be denied. When Sandy's dream world opens, you are overwhelmed with color and vibrancy that threatens to rip itself from the page. When the story takes dark and ominous turns that will remind you of [book:Anya's Ghost|9615347], everything takes a ghostly pallor filled with myriad eyes - which is just great because did I mention I have a huge phobia with eyes.

I love the plot. I love the idea of monsters NEEDING a girl's creative imagination to consume and thrive, which is in turn one of the few ways that Sandy feels validation in doing what she does.

The unavoidable, unfair, UNDENIABLE frustration is how short and rushed the comic feels overall. There is so much great stuff here. I LOVE the idea of monsters feeding on artwork, and also the implication that they are the only ones that can give her art validation in a world where her creativity is being suppressed. I thought it was sweet and subtle how Sandy DID pick up something in her math class which she uses against the monsters. It's just that it goes too fast. Especially as far as pacing goes I didn't feel like the twist of the girl turning out to be a demon was extended enough. With a couple of more pages we could have used some well deserved development between the two, to establish that losing validation, which is the monsters' main hold over Sandy, would be a big deal. But it hurries you along like a frustrated nanny clapping her hands together and pointing at the door. Because the comic is unable to establish a normality, the twists can't feel like they're NOT normality. The final pages lack resonance because the story as a whole wasn't able to pepper its message throughout and even if it did it was too fast to take tempered beats of it.

There is quite literally nothing wrong with this comic other than its length, in my opinion. Maybe one day it can branch out to being something more expansive. Also I am definitely buying a hard copy when it comes out for real.